Table of Contents
The mission of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is to advance the quality of teaching and learning by:
• maintaining high and rigorous standards for what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do;
• providing a national voluntary system certifying teachers who meet these standards; and
• advocating related education reforms to integrate National Board Certification in American education and capitalizing on the expertise of National Board Certified Teachers.
Visit the National Board website to learn more ~ www.nbpts.org
25 Certificate Areas
At the core of the National Board Certification process are standards which describe the highest level of teaching in different disciplines and with students at different developmental levels. These standards represent a consensus among accomplished teachers and other education experts about what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do.
Click on the Certificate Standards to learn more!
Fresno Unified School District offers a $1,250 salary additive for those who obtain certification.
Click on the Salary Schedule to learn more!
National Board Certification may take anywhere from one year to five years, depending on the approach you take, under the following guidelines:
• You may take one or more components per year.
• You must attempt each of the four components within a three-year period.
• After each initial attempt of a component, you will have two opportunities to retake.
Click on the Process Overview to learn more!
A general description of each component follows. The specific instructions will vary by certificate area, as will the standards assessed by each component.
Component 1: Content Knowledge-In this computer-based assessment, you demonstrate knowledge of and pedagogical practices for teaching your content area.
Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction-This classroom-based portfolio entry is primarily comprised of samples of student work and an accompanying written commentary.
Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment– captures details about your instructional planning, direct evidence of your practice from two video recordings and instructional materials, and your analysis of and reflection on your teaching as displayed in two video recordings.
Component 4: Effective and Reflective Practitioner- This portfolio entry requires you to gather information from a variety of sources about a class of students with whom you work and demonstrate your knowledge of assessments and assessment practices to effectively plan for and positively impact these students’ learning.
Click on the Components At A Glance to learn more!